HTTP server in a prim?

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Mon Dec 21 09:39:51 PST 2009

There are url registration/persistence services available that you could
use.  Not meaning to support any one over another, this is a free one I know
of: http://gridurl.appspot.com/ the instructions for use are pretty clear, I
think.

Alternatively if you have access to an outside host, each script could
register it's urls with a custom service there and that service would know
to forward requests it gets to all 5 lights.  In php or python that custom
service is going to be pretty darn simple - GET
?action=set&id=light1&url=foo to register the light's urls, and just keep
them in a dict or map in json in a file or in a database or whatever.  Then
?action=on or ?action=off will send a message to each registered url.  Doing
something like this is probably much easier than having each light maintain
a list of each other light.

The benefits of HTTP-In for either way are that there is no script sleep as
with llEmail, the communication is closer to instant and you can tell at the
time of the action if there were any errors (if you wish to make your system
more robust).

 - Kelly