Survey for prioritizing future projects

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Thu Jun 26 01:52:08 PDT 2008

The limited resource case for CPU cycles is not a complete design at
this point.  The focus of thought and discussion has actually mostly
been around memory usage.  Even so the exact case of how a script gets
more resource (more memory) is still not set in stone (do they need to
ask for it, or just always get what they need?).

For CPU cycles I suspect it to work extremely differently than stopping
any scripts from running.  Right now how scripts work is there is a
fixed amount of time we run scripts each frame, if not all scripts were
run that frame we pick up where we left off when it is time to run
scripts next frame.  So if lots of scripts are running and need lots of
time it may take several frames for each script to get a chance to run.
Given that, one possibility is to keep that model (highly likely) and
then instead of 1 fixed amount of time to run scripts for the whole
region, we divide that time up according to % of the region owned for
the parcel the objects are over.  On a parcel that covers half of a
region they get half of the time to run.  Now there is a lot of edge
cases and fuzzyness here - what do we do if not all that time is used?
We could just keep running those scripts again and again or we could let
other scripts in the region go.  There are lots of possibilities here,
and I don't think any involve not letting scripts run.

Avatars will have their own specific pool of resources, per avatar, for
all their attachments.  Those working will not depend on available
resources for the parcels they are over.

 - Kelly