Survey for prioritizing future projects

Andromeda Quonset AndromedaQuonset at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 19:33:16 PDT 2008

I have already completed the survey, but since it is being discussed
here, I'm going to add my 2 cents worth :)

>1. Script Resource Limits: Ration script resources in a similar way
>to prim limits. Allow individual scripts to use all resources
>available in their current pool, rather than imposing arbitary
>limits on a per script basis. Each avatar is given a fixed size
>resource pool for scripted attachments and remaining resources are
>divided in to parcel pools based on land ownership. When all script
>resources in a pool have been consumed, no more scripted objects can
>be created using that pool.

I really think that this is going to open a big can of
worms.  Situation 1:  I belong to an in-world organization which has
4-sims, although the membership does not share in any land-ownership
there whatsoever.  Many of us, including myself, build scripted items
which are used all over the place.  Or we buy scripted items.  But we
do not buy or rent parcels in these sims.  Many items get sold to the
sim's owner, but many don't.  Across the 4 sims, items which are in
my name are a lot of teleport pads, a number of elevators, and there
is an auditorium full of seats, where every seat contains a sit
script of mine.  Managing prim resources tied to the parcels is
already a mess.  Adding script rationing to the parcels is going to
compound the parcel management problems.

Situation 2:  I own a private island.  Parts of the island are rented
as mall booths.  I used to require that tenants join a group, and all
items in their store had to belong to the group.  I found myself
constantly having to come in-world to invite new tenants to the
group.  Now I'm thinking: will tenants have to belong to a group on
group-owned land in order to have scripts in their stores?

Situation 3: Stores again.  Suppose the store is a collection of
crates, and each crate has a script in it, and one buys direct from
the crate.  This is going to limit the number of crates that can be in a store.

I can see where this may solve the problems of a club in one corner
of a sim using the resources of an entire sim with their scripted
objects.  And this could be desirable on mainland sims where the sim
is divided up between many different land owners.  I think that if it
is a mainland sim that is owned by 1 person, or private island sim,
where again the owner is 1 person, then that person (Estate owner)
should have the ability to opt-out of parcel-based script
rationing.  Perhaps also, have a separate bonus factor in the estate
controls for the sim owner to increase the scripts for a given parcel.

Thanks!