Sockets for message passing...

Mark Meijer meijer78 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 00:21:01 PST 2008

On 25/01/2008, Mark Meijer <meijer78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/2008, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If sockets are good enough this isn't even in the ballpark. They're
> > dealing with a completely different (and much lower) level of
> > concurrency.
>
> ... sockets are an implementation "detail" that is not
> implicit in the concurrency model used by ConcurrentLua, or Erlang,
> and I'm guessing one could easily eliminate the actual sockets from
> ConcurrentLua and find it runs that much faster, just like your
> database example, as well as able to deal with much higher levels of
> concurrency (no inherent limit).

It may be interesting to note that, upon closer examination, the
ConcurrentLua library is split up into the two parts "concurrent" and
"distributed". These two halves look like they each export a similar
interface (if not identical - haven't looked at it that closely), but
only the "distributed" implementation uses sockets for message
passing. The "concurrent" implementation does not.