[sldev] Re: LSL and geometry hierarchy issues (Mark Meijer)

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Mon Jan 21 08:08:49 PST 2008

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> Mono is based around a heavy interpreter core. Again, if you're
> looking at Mono at all you've either no experience in tight realtime
> environments or you've got answers for me that address the kinds of
> problems that tight embedded code has... and you're not even talking
> about those problems. Babbage Linden has come up with some answers,
> but what he's having to do for transportability is scary. Imagine
> crossing a region border and having to snapshot a couple of hundred
> CLI environments (waiting for them to get to a point where they can be
> snapshotted), cross the border, and instantiate them again. The LSL
> image is effectively *always* a snapshot, which is why it has a hard
> 16k limit. Forth and Scheme can work under those environments too...
> I've done it. I haven't run into anything else that's suitable.
Ouch. Hadn't factored in the CLI environment snapshots. I'd love to see
Forth implemented, but then - people are asking for OO for a reason, and
eventually something OO will have to come into play. Sim only OO may be
the answer, where the OO languages work in specific sims. For example, a
programming class (remember where this started?) could use Lisp, but
could not use it anywhere else. A Lisp sandbox.

Honestly, though, I am very shaky on using SL for programming students
other than the object metaphors - well, SL as it is.

Taran Rampersad
cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com
http://www.opendepth.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by Creating" - Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla