Looking for really cool vehicle follower script

JJ Ventrella Ventrella at LindenLab.com
Thu Mar 29 12:07:52 PDT 2007

I've been working on a feature that allows "animal vehicles" to have
autonomous locomotion abilities (following, fleeing, wandering, flying,
etc..). This would be in the deep code, on the same level as the current
vehicle code, and it would expose about a dozen new script calls
allowing you to configure the behavior in many ways. By having this work
on the vehicle code level, it can be much more responsive than anything
coming from a running script - and it would also automate many of the
crufty details, leaving the high-level controls where they belong - in LSL.

Dan (cc'd) is interested in improving the sensor scripting code as well
- this would be a part of the whole scheme.

A complimentary feature to this will be a set of viewer-side rendering
effects - essentially an animal body part attachment scheme, that
dresses arbitrary skeletons located on animal-vehicles, with prims which
are fully parametric and configurable via genetic algorithms. This would
include effects like leg walking IK, gait effects, lookat-sentience, and
various periodic appendage-controllers. These effects would be piecemeal
and entirely optional.

The effects would be similar to my bird (
http://www.ventrella.com/Alife/Bird/bird.html ) - whose body you can
think of as the animal-vehicle. Also, an artificial life simulation I
made called Gene Pool ( http://www.swimbots.com/ ) shows the genetic
aspects I want to implement for natural evolution.

Although this would not be released any time soon (for sure), I just
thought I'd let you know that this is being worked on!
-j