[RegAPIList] Lindens Please respond to inquires regarding regAPI 2.0

Rob Storrs storrs at lindenlab.com
Wed May 14 15:32:35 PDT 2008

Development on the new Registration API has not halted; in fact we
have placed significant pressure on ourselves to deliver, and work has
been continuing at a rapid pace.

We have had to pay quite a bit of development attention towards
debugging and fixing the recent issues raised on this very list
surrounding the existing Reg API.  However, we've tried very hard not
to let this affect development on the new Reg API; and the new RegAPI
development resources have not been substantially distracted.

The lack of visibility into what we are actually DOING for the new Reg
API is what we've been trying to solve.  In a nutshell, we don't want
to repeat any old mistakes, and we must plan for future capacity.
Historically, we've had to scale orders of magnitude in fairly short
timeframes.  Our underlying infrastructure also needs to scale, and
consequently we have a lot of new development going on that the new
Reg API relies on.

Indeed, the new Reg API is a bit of an iceberg of a project; the
visible API is fairly simple, but because we have had to build a
reliable, robust, scalable underlying web service structure first
(which we continue to iterate on), the Reg API has suffered
unavoidable delays.  The infrastructure does not include just the
asset servers, but also data abstraction layers around our central
databases that allow us to grow at current rates without melting the
database servers, as well as accomodating for the future, rather
radical infrastructure designs inherent in the Open Grid Platform world.

This is not an attempt at excuse but rather transparency.  Every one
of us is very eagerly working toward the day when registering an SL
account is easy and ubiquitious as befits a true platform.

Thank you.
~Rob Storrs

Program Manager
Linden Lab