[opensource-dev] Open Viewer Development Announcement

Aidan Thornton makosoft at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 11:14:25 PDT 2010

On 8/18/10, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) <oz at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> While there were some good things about the v1 implementation of pie
> menus, they also had some flaws - such as not opening a submenu centered
> on the mouse click.

I actually puzzled over this a bit when I first realised that Second
Life's pie menus worked this way. Originally, the pie menus worked
well when you didn't click too close to the edge of the screen but
didn't actually open under the mouse cursor if you did. Since the
"More..." item is sensibly always the southmost one, opening new
submenus centered on the mouse would cause the pie menu to drift down
the screen until it hit the bottom and caused problems.

Also, opening the submenu at the same location has the nice
side-effect that the mouse remains over the "More..." option for the
pie menus that are nested 3 or more levels deep.

What I have been contemplating is how to make it possible to open the
next layer of a pie menu without moving the mouse at all. Sadly, it'd
probably break too much from normal UI conventions to be worth doing.