[SLNP] REMINDER: Applications for VW Professional Development program closing Feb 11

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 5 12:17:41 PST 2010

Dear Friends,

Just a reminder about this opportunity for professional development for nonprofit professionals during the month of March.  Note that we have extended the application deadline a few days until Thursday February 11.  We only have a few slots available, so apply today if you are interested.

And please forward to anyone else that might want to participate!

Best,

Rik Panganiban
Global Kids

------------------------------

Applications Open for Virtual World Professional Development Opportunity in March!

On behalf of Global Kids, a leading nonprofit in the field of virtual world education, we would like to invite your organization to apply to participate in a series of free professional development trainings in virtual worlds for nonprofits. Supported by a grant from the MacArthur Foundation, the Virtual Worlds Capacity Building for Nonprofits Program aims to facilitate nonprofit organizations in developing an informed strategy on how to integrate these new media tools into their missions.

Over the month of March 2010, Global Kids will be working with a cohort of 5-8 civic and cultural organizations to introduce them to the myriad applications of virtual worlds for the public sector.  The "Virtual World Capacity Building Program," now in its 3rd semester, is a three-week crash course in virtual environments, specifically tailored to the interests and needs of nonprofit institutions.  Participating organizations will get to explore different virtual worlds, test out different tools and applications, and learn about cutting edge projects run within these 3D, online spaces.

For the first time, Global Kids is soliciting applications for the Winter 2010 session from any civic or cultural organization, anywhere in the world.  All interested organizations are encouraged to apply. Selection preference will be given to organizations that are mostly closely associated with Global Kids' core values of education, youth development, civic engagement, human rights and international affairs.  Unfortunately, we are only able to accommodate up to eight organizations for a given semester.  Applications are due by February 11, 2010. We will inform selected participants by February 15 via email.

Sample topics of the Winter 2010 Capacity Building Program:
How organizations are using virtual worlds to enhance their real world conferences and events
Why educational institutions from K-12 to university are interested in virtual worlds
What networks and communities of practice can help your organization get started in virtual worlds
How to budget and plan your first virtual project

For more information and to apply, please see our website at http://tinyurl.com/virtualworldtraining.  Remember, applications are due by February 11, 2010.

Rik Panganiban
Assistant Director
Online Leadership Program