[SLNP] Join the Salam Project: Virtual Service to Support Peace in Sudan

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 3 09:18:32 PST 2010

Apologies, I know this is not directly SL related. But I thought you might have organizations or youth who might be interested in participating in the Salam Project, a virtual service learning initiative using the youth-oriented world of SmallWorlds.

Best, rik

Join the Salam Project: Virtual Service to Support Peace in Sudan
Many of us know about the deadly conflicts that have devastated the North African country of Sudan. What you may not know about is what you can do in your own community to support peace in this wartorn country. On February 12th, you can take a virtual stand for peace in Sudan at the "Salam Project" kick-off event!

On Friday, February 12, you are cordially invited to a virtual presentation by Nisrin Elamin, a Sudanese peace activist, and two youth leaders, talking about their work to educate others about the conflict and support peace in Sudan. The event will take place in the web-based virtual world of SmallWorlds, at both 4pm PST and 4PM EST.  This talk will be the kick off of a month of service all around the United States in solidarity with Sudan.

Nisrin and the teen leaders will introduce the virtual audience to the history and current status of the conflicts, and the peace process. Then they will talk about what activists in Africa and around the world are doing to help.  Finally they will suggest a range of engaging service projects -- from a bake sale fundraiser to a screening of an educational video -- that young people anywhere can take part in.  We'll close with a virtual mixer where you can ask them questions and meet others around the country planning their own service projects.

We are calling this effort "The Salam Project" since Salam is the Arabic word for peace.  We invite you all to participate in the Salam Project, where you will get access to the following online resources:
An online social network and a youth-friendly virtual world to get the young people inspired about the project, share information with each other, and show the results of their work to their peers.
A 3D virtual service center where you can find out more about Sudan, the peace process, and service learning opportunities
A service learning curriculum and workshops that teachers and youth facilitators can use to support service learning actions by your students
And finally a live virtual video simulcast on March 25th of the talk by Benjamin Ajak, Benson Deng, Alephonsion Deng, three of the "Lost Boys of Sudan."
To get started, get more information, and register to participate, head to http://sudanpeace.ning.com today!

Watch our promo video at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BAIRAIKZk .

The Salam Project is a project of the National Youth Leadership Council, produced by Global Kids.

Rik Panganiban
Assistant Director
Online Leadership Program
Global Kids