[MUSICDEV] MIDI Synchronization with Audio Stream

Alan Fraser alansfraser at cox.net
Fri Aug 31 16:17:24 PDT 2007

It would make a radical difference to music in Second Life if it were
possible to send a synchronous MIDI I/O stream to the sim in parallel
with the audio stream.  The application of the MIDI stream would not
necessarily be musical but would rather be open to imagination of the
musician in the same way as MIDI streams are sometimes used to
control stage lights and other such non-musical devices.  Consider
the potential if the MIDI stream could be read by a script that is
running on the SL side to receive the MIDI.  It could use, for
example, a C1 note-on event to process, in complete synchronization
with the music, whatever it's little heart desired.  The applications
of this are limitless and I think it's pretty safe to say that it
would open vistas in music that have never before been possible.

The biggest reason I request this is that my performance is anywhere
from thirty seconds or more ahead of Second Life in real-time so
there is no possible way that I can synchronize anything in-world
with what I am doing.  At a minimum, I would like to be able to
synchronize stage lights on a beat but there is so, so much more that
could be done.

Alan Fraser
My Duck Soup is at http://myducksoup.com/