[JIRA] Commented: (VWR-8211) Black terrain below the water line.
Terris Bezner (JIRA)
no-reply at lindenlab.cascadeo.com
Mon Jan 25 08:56:37 PST 2010
[ http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8211?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=161985#action_161985 ]
Terris Bezner commented on VWR-8211:
I have now FOUND A SOLUTION for this bug which gets rid of the black water while still allowing you to see Nearby Local Lights, Fog and Atmospheric Shaders. It appears the viewer does indeed include a fix for this bug, but it is not activated by default.
Steps to fix:
1) Enable the Advanced menu by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-D
2) Open the Debug Settings dialog by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S
3) Select (or type in) RenderShaderLightingMaxLevel. The caption should read: "Max lighting level to use in the shader (class 3 is default, 2 is less lights, 1 is sun/moon only. Works around shader compiler bugs on certain platforms.)"
4) The default value is 3. Change it to 2, press Enter, and close the dialog.
5) To activate the fix, open Preferences > Graphics > Custom. Under Lighting Detail, change to "Sun and Moon Only" and then change BACK to "Nearby local lights". When you do this, the black water should vanish.
Can anyone else with this problem confirm that these steps work for them as well?
> Black terrain below the water line.
> Key: VWR-8211
> URL: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8211
> Project: 1. Second Life Viewer - VWR
> Issue Type: Bug
> Components: Graphics
> Affects Versions: Snowglobe test build, 1.20 Release Candidate, 1.20, 1.21, 1.22 Release Candidate, 1.22, 1.23 Release Candidate, 1.23 Public Nightly
> Environment: Windows:
> NVidia drivers version 175.19 (Released July 9th),
> NVidia 7950GT PCI-E, 512MB
> XP SP3, all patches
> Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10
> Nvidia 7950 GT, Driver 177.80 STABLE and 180.06 BETA
> Reporter: Squirrel Wood
> Assignee: WorkingOnIt Linden
> Priority: Major
> Fix For: 1.23 Release Candidate, 1.23
> Attachments: black water 1.jpg, black water 2.jpg, black water 3.jpg, black water 4.jpg, Black_Terrain_Under_Water_1.23.4_June_16_2009.png, Black_Under_Surface_1.23.4_RC_June_12_2009.png, BlackWater1.png, BlackWater2.png, Tarry water cleared, atmospheric effects disabled.jpg, Tarry water cleared, SurfacePatch disabled.jpg, Tarry water.jpg
> Attached screenshots show that terrain below the water line is rendered pitch black.
> This started happening when I installed the latest graphics driver from nvidia.
> Both RC13 and RC14 show this behavior.
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators: http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Administrators.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira
More information about the Jira-notify