[GuSL] thoughts on a blog article

Patrick Clemins patrick at clemins.name
Mon Oct 26 08:13:38 PDT 2009

I'm not sure the blog author clearly understands the utility of
SecondLife...

First, he calls it a game.  This has been a red flag to me to indicate that
the speaker/author clearly does not understand the digital landscape.  No
self-respecting gamer would ever call SecondLife a game.  It's a virtual
world and more akin to a simulator.

Second, his expectations are clearly inflated and he assumes that the DoE
and other agencies have the same inflated expectations.  I don't think any
agency gets into SecondLife at this point with the expectation they are
going to create the next Disney theme park.  We've all seen the very modest
interest in these islands, and have come to expect that.  But, the author is
right in that SecondLife is cheap, and so rather efficient as an outreach
tool and reaches a demographic that government agencies rarely reach through
other outlets.  The most success I've seen is their use as teleconferencing
arenas for seminars, media-type events and working group collaboration,
which saves money in travel costs.

Patrick Clemins
formerly at NSF