[GuSL] Obama Executive Order Could Benefit Virtual Worlds

Scott Sechser scott at lindenlab.com
Wed Oct 7 15:14:29 PDT 2009

Business in Virtual
Worlds<http://dusanwriter.com/index.php/category/business-in-virtual-worlds/>
Obama
Executive Order Could Benefit Virtual Worlds 10.07.09 | 1 Comment

President Obama issued an executive order a few days ago that will go a long
way to kick-starting government’s examination of new ways to meet and
collaborate. The order
states<http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/President-Obama-signs-an-Executive-Order-Focused-on-Federal-Leadership-in-Environmental-Energy-and-Economic-Performance/>
:

“As the largest consumer of energy in the U.S. economy, the Federal
government can and should lead by example when it comes to creating
innovative ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase energy
efficiency, conserve water, reduce waste, and use
environmentally-responsible products and technologies,” said President
Obama. “This Executive Order builds on the momentum of the Recovery Act to
help create a clean energy economy and demonstrates the Federal government’s
commitment, over and above what is already being done, to reducing emissions
and saving money.”…

Implementation of the Executive Order will focus on integrating achievement
of sustainability goals with agency mission and strategic planning to
optimize performance and minimize implementation costs. Each agency will
develop and carry out an integrated Strategic Sustainability Performance
Plan that prioritizes the agency’s actions toward the goals of the Executive
Order based on lifecycle return on investments. Implementation will be
managed through the previously-established Office of the Federal
Environmental Executive, working in close partnership with OMB, CEQ and the
agencies.

While much of the order focuses on sustainable sources of energy, the
targets open the door to using Web and virtual world based tools, in
particular the goal of reducing vehicle fleet petroleum use by 2020 by 30%.
While this could be achieved through fleet replacement, it could also be
reduced through less travel time and, well, virtual meetings.

It strikes me that the virtual world industry, or specific platforms, could
leverage the executive order by issuing clear guidance and statistics on how
virtual worlds for collaboration have a direct impact on energy conservation
and sustainability. While not carbon neutral (we need power to run our
computers after all), virtual worlds nonetheless offer a way to avoid
unnecessary travel while maintaining engagement.

Our work with Immersive Workspaces(TM) has provided one set of metrics in
this area and I know that others have measured ROI including reduced travel
expenditures. But maybe it’s time for a mini consortium to put some figures
to this and get it circulating at the Office of the Federal Environmental
Executive.
 <http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>
Tagged: government <http://dusanwriter.com/index.php/tag/government/>,
obama<http://dusanwriter.com/index.php/tag/obama/>,