[GuSL] AVESS - Amputee Virtual Environment

Moriz Gupte moriz.gupte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:40:47 PST 2009

Hi Doug,
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.  Glad to see there was a focus on
solution and platform in your case. Is it possible to share with us
information about how  you addressed issues such as patient privacy and info
protection (HIPPA), and how do you guarantee FISMA compliance for
individuals accessing the environment from outside the firewall. I am
wondering if your target audience will all need to access the virtual
environment behind the firewall for security constraints to be met, is this
the case?
Regards
Ramesh
Research Assistant Prof
Idaho State University

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Rik Panganiban <rik at globalkids.org> wrote:

> This sounds incredibly exciting! I love that one of the first applications
> of the new enterprise version of Second Life is going to be to help military
> amputees.
>
> Congrats on getting this project together. Looking forward to hearing about
> your initial findings and the experiences of those this project will be
> serving.
>
> rik
> ___________________________________
> Rik Panganiban
> Assistant Director
> Online Leadership Program
> *Global Kids*
> email: rik at globalkids.org
> tel: +1 212 226 0130 x139
> second life: rik riel
> http://www.globalkids.org
> http://olp.globalkids.org
>
> On Nov 2, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Doug Thompson wrote:
>
> Hello all:
>
> I hope this doesn’t come across as too self-serving or promotional.
>
> I wanted to share with you a project that we’re working on, which was
> announced today via press release. The project is to develop a virtual
> environment to support military amputees. It is being funded by the
> Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC) of the US Army
> Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC) through my sister company,
> ADL.
>
> I blogged about it this morning:
>

> http://dusanwriter.com/index.php/2009/11/02/virtual-support-space-for-military-amputees/
>
> And the official release is here:
> http://www.businesswire.com/news/google/20091102005423/en
>
> A few reasons I wanted to share this. One was to reinforce that Second Life
> and its new behind-the-firewall solution is a leading option for enterprise
> and government. This project was in response to a full RFP to which we are
> told there were 50+ proposals, based on nearly every type of virtual
> environment. It gave me, personally, faith in the choices we’ve made about
> platforms.
>
> But I also wanted to make a point, I suppose, which was that while the
> technology was a ‘cost of entry’ we’re increasingly finding that by having a
> focus on solutions seems to be a winning formula, for us in any case. By
> creating partnerships with subject matter experts (in this case Virtual
> Ability Inc.) or institutions, we were able to focus on the user audience,
> the goals, and to create a measurable execution plan.
>
> As well, (and I think this is an important point of discussion) we have
> clearly set out in this project to create an environment with the client
> which will encourage publishing and sharing of data so that we can
> collectively learn about what works, what doesn’t, and what best practices
> should guide virtual environment development.
>
> Thanks so much for letting me share this. Sorry again if it seems overly
> promotional. I hope it’s useful to hear about projects like this and I’d be
> pleased to share lessons learned or approaches we took.

> [...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD Research Assistant Professor Idaho State
University, PocatelloTel: 208-282-5333
More info at http://tr.im/RRamloll