[SLED] Short Survey On Why People Leave Second Life

Virtual Native Lands virtualnativelands at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 10:00:40 PST 2012

Kate,

There might be something other than dancing you could add to the experience
of listening in your venue.  Two things that come to mind are complementary
art forms (visual and performance)  and lectures on music.

I have often wished there was some background provided in classical music
performances.  I have never taken a music class, but  I did happen to attend
a lecture on blues once that had an enormous impact on me.  It really made a
difference in how I heard the music.  Similarly, I have seen very brief
presentations on particular composers and wished there was more.  Many
people like myself know we would appreciate classical music much more if we
knew more about what we are hearing.  I would make a point of attending
lectures at your venue if you had them.

Artwork in SL can be very interactive and engaging.   A collaboration of 3D
art with musical performance could give the audience a rich and unique
experience.  I have seen many stunning artworks in SL that would benefit
from music.  It is surprising that visual artists sometimes pay so little
attention to their auditory background.  This really shows up at the
University of Western Australia exhibits as well as some LEA shows.  The
musical background literally clashes with the art sometimes, as when someone
leaves a commercial pop station chattering advertisements and 80s love songs
on the stream, or when you get blasted with one after another bad music
barrage as you step across parcel boundaries.  Thoughtful mix of music and
visual art would make a difference.

Nany