[SLED] gathering suggestions

lwahl at uidaho.edu lwahl at uidaho.edu
Fri Sep 9 08:46:48 PDT 2011

Hi LuAnn
We have two learning simulations on our UI islands: one for Nutrition knowledge and another for Financial Knowledge.

Nutrition- Intrepid Healthy Lifestyle Hunter
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/University%20Idaho%20CALS/6/142/22

Financial- Prosperity Quest
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/University%20Idaho%20CALS/152/31/22

We do have a ROI sheet on the Financial Knowledge one that compares it to running the same content as a real-life simulation.  Contact me off-list if you want to discuss that info further.  The virtual Financial Knowledge simulation saves money over the real life version AND also offers the opportunity to run the simulation multiple times.  The real life simulation (That's Life) can only be done one time.

Of course both simulations can be accessed at any time as long as the user has a broadband connection regardless of location.  We are hoping that these simulations can be used in rural locations or other underserved areas as well as supporting existing Extension education efforts and be used for secondary school education.

Both simulations have a HUD that collects data as the user moves through each simulation and puts the data into a database.  We have run a few groups of users through both and have some data that we are analyzing.  Both simulations were completed in June 2011, so we haven't had them running long enough to gather large amounts of user data.

The simulations are also designed so that a group of users could go through together and hopefully have meaningful exchanges (and some peer pressure) as participants are learning and making choices.

Lori/Diantha

Lori Wahl
Instructor
Clothing, Textiles, and Design
School of Family and Consumer Sciences
University of Idaho
email: lwahl at uidaho.edu
phone: 503.913.3658
second life: Diantha Petrov
skype: lori_wahl
FCS223: Evaluation of Apparel and Textiles