[SLED] Kitely is a game changer

Larry Havenstein lhavenst at ksu.edu
Wed Mar 30 07:15:30 PDT 2011

This feature exists in IE 9, Firefox 4, and Chrome 10.

That said Firefox 4 and Chrome 10 are more secure due to
sandboxing that takes place in those programs now.   Firefox 3
and IE any version don't have sandboxing in memory.

Of the two FF4 and Chrome, Chrome is more secure due to the
fact that Flash and PDF are actually built into the browser and
maintained by the normal browser updates.   Most modern hacks
are on Adobe Flash and PDF plugins, often because they weren't
upgraded.

Don't get me wrong IE9 is more secure but just isn't as secure as
Firefox 4 and Chrome.

Safari is all over the place security wise.  In many ways its more
like Chrome except Apple isn't fast about doing updates to
exploitable bugs.   I would recommend using either Firefox or
Chrome on a Macintosh.

On 29 Mar 2011 at 18:02, John "Pathfinder" Lester wrote:

> On the topic of privacy and tracking:
>
> My favorite new feature in Firefox 4:
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/how-do-i-stop-websites-tracking-me
>
> Sure, there's no way to make sure websites are *honoring* your request...
>
> ...but I still feel better with this feature always enabled.
>
> -John
>
> ----------------------------
> John Lester
> Director, Community Development
> ReactionGrid
> http://reactiongrid.com
>
> Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
> Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> "If you want to build a ship, don´t drum up the men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
> vast and endless sea."  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
>

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Virtual Native Lands
> <virtualnativelands at comcast.net> wrote:
> > No one will make me buy something I don't want to buy.  If a company tries
> > to use information about me taken from Facebook to spam me with advertising,
> > it is all the less likely I will ever buy anything from them.  And they are
> > welcome to take that bit of information along with the rest and correlate it
> > where the sun don't shine.
> >
> > I don't know of anyone who has ever experienced credit card or bank account
> > fraud as a result of having a Facebook account.  I don't know of anyone who
> > has experienced identity theft as a result of information they display on
> > Facebook.  I supposed it could eventually turn into a problem for some
> > children whose mothers have given away their birthdate and mother's maiden
> > name along with the child's full name and address but it seems unlikely if
> > no social security number was included.
> >
> > Any law enforcement agency that wants to know what I am doing at any time of
> > day or night can simply ask me.  I hope they won't tell anyone how much time
> > and money I spend in Second Life is all.

 <Larry>++

  Lhavenst at ksu.edu