[SLED] SL's marketing/positioning

Grizzla Pixelmaid grizzlaggc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:54:47 PST 2011

Hm. Lindy's post spurred me to make return visits to both the main
secondlife.com page, and the secondlife.com/community page.

In both cases, the visible emphasis is on romance & escape. The video that
auto-plays on the main page goes through a sort of spectrum of possibilities
- meet people - explore - decide who you want to be - discover - but
anyone's first impression will be the romance/escape emphasis, and they may
not stay long enough to notice the exploration & discover tidbits.

Really, the same thing with the communities page. I looked at the images and
"text bites:"  "Connect with friends, meet new people" is the most
prominent. The images show dancing under the stars, a belly dancer, a couple
in tux & evening gown, people at a seaside bar. Granted, the video shows a
tidbit about education, but it sure isn't the emphasis, and anybody who
doesn't notice they can click to play the video, won't see that nod. On my
new Mac that has a great graphics card, I couldn't even get it to play to
the point of the education bit, so if I were a skeptic looking at the site
in order to consider giving SL a chance, I would quit right there.

On the community page, under events in SL, it says "Whether you're looking
for something social, educational, competitive or just plain old weird,
check out the Events Calendar..." - but that one mention of education is, as
they say, "below the fold." And while there used to be a fairly prominent
link on the main page to SL Education, that's been gone for a long time.

So I echo Lindy's question with even more emphasis, because I don't see
anything on the SL website to position itself as anything other than
social/recreational.

"How can we, as a community, rally behind the concept that it is good
marketing to sell 'a world of possibilities' rather than the narrower 'come
on get lucky' and lobby Linden Labs [sic] about this way of thinking?"

Cheers,
Chris

Christine Robinson
Virtual Assistant
Office of Educational Technology
Georgia Gwinnett College
office 678-407-5433
mobile 770-856-2022

Second Life & Reaction Grid: Grizzla Pixelmaid
VWERGrid: Chris Robinson

"Most people have been brainwashed into believing that their job is to
copyedit the world, not to design it." - Seth Godin