[SLED] Ha ha ha

Owen Kelly owen.kelly at arcada.fi
Sat Oct 9 09:57:43 PDT 2010

  Hi,

You are not wrong. I could indeed ask Linden Labs what payment options
are available. But why would I?

Let me tell you a true story.

We got our first private island in SL in 2005. We expanded this to 9
sims. We did this enthusiastically as money became available.

Once we had done this I asked Linden Labs on numerous occasions to
consolidate our payments so that we had a single renewal date for all
nine sims. I explained to them how this would make my life much easier,
how it would help me get the whole deal through the finance people, and
how this would help them. I even offered to renew some sims early one
year and let them pocket the difference. Anything to get the whole nine
sims to have one renewal date.

They told me that it couldn't be done. They told me that this was not
their policy.

A customer asks to have his/her bill consolidated and offers to take a
loss on the process of consolidating it, and Linden Labs says that it is
not possible. Fine: perhaps I explained badly or they misunderstood. So
I asked again, phrasing it differently. And again. Over several years.

It is still not possible. We now have 6 sims, having sold three to a
nearby (in RL) university for joint research. We have 4 different
payment dates.

You ask me why I am not asking the kind of questions that you think I
ought to be asking. Experience of asking questions is the answer. Yes
(as I said in another thread) we can see the Lab as Bertie Woosters -
nice but dim - and we can make excuses for them at every turn, but that
is not actually the case.

I have asked them for something very reasonable since 2006 or 2007 -
something that would cost them nothing and would help both of us -  and
they have basically told me to stop bothering them.

You get them to consolidate my renewal dates and I promise that I will
"ask Linden Lab what payment options are available and to tell them that
coming up with 1.5 to 2 years of tier when the budgets haven't been
decided is unreasonable"

I have to say though that "If LL hasn't thought about that" then the
people running the business shouldn't be running the business.

Cheers
Owen