[SLED] Second Life Nonprofits and Educators Can Lock in Discounted Rate for Up to 2 Years

Widget Whiteberry slwidget at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 06:23:45 PDT 2010

Not to new rental customers. Do you read this as meaning lump sum payments
for the renewal term?

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Owen Kelly <owen.kelly at arcada.fi> wrote:

>  Erm, yes it does apply to new rentals. He explicitly says
>
>  .....will be able to renew early (or purchase additional regions).....
>
> Cheers
> Owen
>
> On 08/10/2010 21:04, Rik Panganiban wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>  You probably received the email along with others that Linden Lab has
> decided to allow nonprofits and educational institutions to renew their
> rental land for up to TWO YEARS if they do so before December 31.  This
> effectively locks in the discounted rate, for those that already qualified.
>
>  This does not apply to new rentals, only to renewals.
>
>  For those that didn't receive it, here is the complete text of the email:
>
>        Dear Educators and Not-for-profits,
>
> By now many of you have likely read the blog regarding our recent decision
> to discontinue the educational/not-for-profit discount on January 1, 2011
> when we will move to a consistent pricing approach for all in Second Life.
> We recognize that this increase in cost may pose a hardship especially with
> the timing of budgets and funding, which is why we're offering an early
> renewal option to extend the amount of time you can continue at the current
> rates in exchange for a longer term commitment.
>
> An educational or not-for-profit institution that is currently under
> contract with us will be able to renew early (or purchase additional
> regions) and continue to receive the current 50% discount on land
> maintenance provided that the renewal takes place prior to the December 31,
> 2010. You will be able to select contract renewal options of 6, 12, 18 or 24
> months under these terms. If your organization renews and enters into a
> contract no later than December 31, 2010, it can lock in the current
> discounted rate for up to 24 additional months.
>
> Please note that any new purchases or renewals occurring after December 31,
> 2010 will be at our standard prices without the previous discount.
>
> We hope that this clarifies the policy regarding both early and standard
> renewals. If you are interested in early renewal of your regions, please
> email us at slinvoice at lindenlab.com with "Early Renewal" in the subject
> line and provide the following information:
>

>    1. Name of Institution or Organization
>    2. Contact Name
>    3. Contact Email
>    4. SL Avatar Name to which the regions to be renewed are associated
>    5. Name of Region(s) to be Renewed
>    6. Renewal Time Period (6, 12, 18, 24 months)
>

>  You will receive confirmation of receipt of your request within 1
> business day.
>
> Upon review of your request, an invoice for renewal will be sent to the
> contact email address.
>
> Thank you for understanding, and I hope to continue seeing many of you
> inworld.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> The Linden Lab Land Team
>

>  Best,
>
>  rik

> [...]

Widget Whiteberry - Public Affairs and Social Networking Aps

Commonwealth Islands in Second Life
Tech Incubator for NGOs learning to use virtual worlds to serve first world
aspirations
http://www.envirolink.org/

Virtually Speaking in Second Life
Live, in-depth, intelligent conversations about politics and policy with
opinion leaders. Produced before a virtual studio audience. Simulcast on
BlogTalkRadio. Sundays & Thursdays.
http://virtually-speaking.com