[SLED] Cross-platform chat client?

Larry Havenstein lhavenst at ksu.edu
Fri Oct 8 08:04:55 PDT 2010

Probably using IRC and one of the clients that support IRC as an alternate chat channel would be the most
reliable.

Phoenix is one that supports IRC,  I don't know if Imprudence does.    With that we can use free existing
servers  though so it shouldn't take any infrastructure builds.  Just would need a channel registered for each of
us to make accounts.

IRC is more reliable than the Linden Labs chat and is the reason some of the clients have an IRC client built in.

On 8 Oct 2010 at 9:44, Deanya Lattimore wrote:

> So this morning, I'm thinking how useful a cross-grid chat client
> would be for us as we continue to migrate out into other grids.
>
> Raptr ( http://raptr.com/ ) is a good games client, but how hard would
> something like this be to code? If the client used keys of characters
> in worlds, then anyone you had on your friends list in any grid could
> show up in the client.
>
> Anything else like this available?  Anything we could script using
> something like Jabber?
>
> -- Deanya
>

> --
> Deanya Lattimore
> ABD PhD. Syracuse University
> Adjunct, Gardner-Webb University
> 704/466/3689 home; 704/406/3209 office
> http://www.deanya.com
> Diigo: http://www.diigo.com/profile/deanya
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deanya.lattimore
> Google Chat: deanyalattimore at gmail.com
> Second Life: Deanya Zenfold
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/deanya

 <Larry>++

 Larry Havenstein
  System Engineer and KSRE/COA Computer Security Officer
  Information and Educational Technology
  Department of Communications
  K-State Research and Extension
  Kansas State University