[SLED] What we know and what we can predict

Sharon Collingwood collingwood.7 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 5 12:10:32 PDT 2010

Seems to me that LLab is setting themselves up to be a profitable acquisition.  If you double the price of an educational sim, it makes the books look really good; although there will be people who bail, they won't bail until their contract is up, and that will start after Jan 1.   In the meantime, they can show a doubling of their future income on educational sims.

I think that's what's behind the whole thing.

So what can we learn from this?  Unless they're criminally incompetent (and I'm not leaving out that possibility) those in power at LLab have decided to make themselves attractive to a company who is not interested in education.

Think about it.  Even if LLab immediately changed the sim fees back tomorrow, they've done irreparable damage to their reputation with educators.  We'll never trust them again.  People (like me) who would never have considered moving to open sim are now actively looking into it.  A movement has started that will be pretty difficult to stop.  A prospective buyer would know this too.  So whoever they've got in mind doesn't give a toss about education.

Or else they're about to crash and burn, and are now grasping at anything to save themselves, which somehow I don't think is the case.

Time to be thinking about community, and keeping in contact.  Time to be considering whether we should move this list.  I wonder how AJ would feel about taking in some orphans from the storm at his VWER list at UTexas?

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
          http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/collingwood7/

Department of Women's Studies
The Ohio State University
286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Second Life:  Ellie Brewster
Visit Minerva Isle in Second Life:
          http://slurl.com/secondlife/Minerva/16/14/22