[SLED] Presense vs Immersion - definitions/distinction & reference

Owen Kelly owen.kelly at arcada.fi
Sun Oct 3 10:59:22 PDT 2010

  I simply don't believe that "immersion" is a single phenomenon, and
your post suggests why. It all depends on what you are simulating, or
more specifically, it depends on the relationship between what is being
mapped and what it is being mapped onto.

So, if you map "living in a pseudo-medieval Gorean society" onto "my pc
running SL Viewer 2" there are likely to be problems. I am immersed only
as long as I don't look away from the screen, or the phone doesn't ring,
or whatever. However, map "My computer is in contact with an alien
civilization thanks to this dvd I got in the mail" onto "my computer is
running this dvd I got in the mail" and there are far fewer problems.
Because what you are doing playing the game (tapping the keyboard and
trying to figure out what the responses mean) is very similar to what
you would be doing if your computer was actually using the dvd to get in
contact with aliens.

To return to your example, if you are in contact with others by SMS,
then the whole experience of being in contact with them is more or less
the same whether they are people experiencing a disaster and needing
your help, or people pretending to be experiencing a disaster and
needing your help. The tool being used is in congruence with the task
being simulated.

If you have an activity that, in real life, would be carried out via SMS
or a computer keyboard, then it should be possible to provide  very
immersive simulation using SMS or a computer keyboard. Here you are only
required to suspend your disbelief about the source of the
communication. As anyone who has "danced" in SL will testify, physical
activity in a keyboard/mouse controlled virtual world requires a lot
more (and a lot more different kinds of) suspension of disbelief.

Cheers
Owen