[SLED] Collaboration and Development teams/communities

Michael Cahalane mrcahalane at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 07:19:08 PDT 2010

Wonders if anyone has read anything interesting regarding collaboration and
the development of goods between residents in SL? I'm interested in
collaboration activities whereby something is 'created' by numerous
residents.Specifically, teams or communities in which users take on roles
such as 'builders' and 'scripters' in an organised pursuit of developing
'something' in-world?

I think it's a really interesting topic and am currently researching this
area.

The 'open' and collaborative nature of groups such as Studio Wikitecture
seem very interesting indeed. Equally, the SL solution providers lists has
numerous organisations where teams of residents take on projects. Also, even
within educational institutions I have seen groups of users from a
university act as 'communities of practice' building virtual campuses, etc.
Does anyone know of any  interesting studies or insights about such
community/team development work within SL that I may have missed? Their
optimal size, operations? tensions?

Also of interest,Here<https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/2009-May/032219.html>'s
a post from a reply I received on the SLED mailing list, whereby a lecturer
notices to impact of his students working alongside each other and the
impact it had.

Thoughts?