[SLED] Book Review - Apocalyptic AI: Visions of Heaven in Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Virtual Reality

Giulio Prisco gp1 at metafuturing.com
Wed Mar 17 23:36:14 PDT 2010

Though I think (and hope) most of Kurzweil's predictions will come
true someday, I am much less optimist than Kurzweil concerning the
timescale. He thinks in term of nice and clean mathematical models,
whereas reality is more like a real machine, with friction,
overpressure, overheating, leaks and other things which slow progress
down. Reality is messy and greasy. I do expect mind uploading
technology developed, but not by the 30s or 40s. More like by the end
of the century. This does not change my positive assessment of its
feasibility and desirability. We _are_ making progress, albeit not so
fast.

Coming to your later comment "But I am not convinced that uploading
our minds into an artificial body and existence will give us easily
acquired sanity or wisdom; I am not convinced that it will eradicate
human social or intellectual error." - i agree. I think our current
limits and problems will fade out, but other limits and problems will
appear. In particular, we always assess our situation by comparing it
to that of other people in the same social environment (My neighbors
have a new shiny car! They always go on vacation to tropical islands!)
and this will always be a source of conflict.

--
Giulio Prisco
gp at metafuturing.com (remove 1)