[SLED] Carbon-based?

Rolig Loon rolig.loon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:20:40 PST 2010

I didn't say it wasn't, Widget.  I was just answering your question.
Obviously, if you want to calculate your total energy consumption for
the time that you're in world, you need to include both your human
consumption and your avatar's. The tricky part, of course, is that
your human side keeps consuming energy all the time, so the annualized
energy figure of 2,436 kWH/yr, based on a global average, is fairly
easy to calculate. (Except when you quote the wrong number, as I did
in my earlier post . ;-o  ) Your avatar, however, is only consuming
energy while she's "alive," which is far less than the full year.

Therefore, the annualized figure of 1,752 kWH/yr is a maximum, not the
real value you ought to be using. You need to prorate that figure by
the number of hours you are actually in SL. Suppose that you're an
avid SL devotee and are in world 20 hours a week (OK, I'm in more than
that, but just suppose). That means your avatar is consuming energy
12% of the year or, looked at another way, she's consuming 1,752 *
0.12 = 210 kWH/yr. Added to your human consumption, that's 2,646
kWH/yr, or about an 8.6% increase over your "normal" RL consumption.

So, your avatar theoretically contributes in a non-trivial way to
global energy consumption. It's not a dramatic contribution, though,
considering that the average SL resident is probably in world much
less than the 20 hours I used for illustration. Also, the time you
spend in SL is time that you are NOT watching TV, baking brownies,
driving to the mall, or doing other things that use at least as much
energy. One activity offsets another, which was your point earlier.

To reiterate my own personal conclusion, offered flippantly in
response to the original post in this thread, this is a fun exercise
but not one that you should take very seriously.

Rolig