[SLED] for those of you who have read Snow Crash, I have a question

Kate Miranda katemir at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 01:44:25 PDT 2010

I saw the video of your presentation on this some months ago and it was
years since I had read Snow Crash and I wasn't able to answer your question
correctly and only vaguely remember the details that you reported.

I happened to ask my son, a 30 year old applied linguistics grad student and
ESL teacher the Snow Crash question and he got it correct right away.
Perhaps this was due to a more recent reading but I think more likely
because his daily focus is on cross-cultural communication.  He taught in
China for 5 years and is tri-lingual himself, speaking French and Mandarin
as well as English.

I wondered if the "uncanny valley" exists less for us who have been
interacting with avatars for years now, just like we stop "seeing" skirts
falling through chairs and hair disappearing into our shoulders.  If the
brain can flip the world upside down in 24 hours of wearing upside down
glasses as demonstrated in the classic experiment why should we be surprised
that the brain can learn to see all of SL as real after awhile despite the
gaps and unreality seen by newer arrivals?

======
Kate Miranda
Music Island Concerts
http://musicisland.ning.com