[SLED] Export tools and Linden's "Policy on Third-PartyViewers" (is it legally binding?!)

Kate Miranda katemir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 05:18:26 PDT 2010

Patricia,

"I have, frankly, not been interpreting this portion of the new license
as actually dealing so much with intellectual property as with
hamstringing people's efforts to move to OpenSIm, in the hopes of
giving SL more time to figure out how to compete effectively.
Personally, for me, this is having the reverse effect. Seeing the
Linden actions of the past few months has driven me to strongly
recommend a much earlier adoption of OpenSim for our University,
whereas a couple months ago I was quite content to think about OpenSim
as a potential shift somewhere in the future, perhaps in another year
or so. Now I am thinking can we get there for Fall Term, and can we
begin to minimize our dependence on SL"

I was thinking aloud the other day that I thought a lot of people might be
thinking in the same fashion--a somewhat panicked exodus.  I have
investigated some alternate grids out of curiousity but had no compelling
reason to leave SL .  I figured on waiting to see things mature and counted
on the ability to move things (legally owned things) from grid to grid would
likely loosen up rather than tighten. If it is closed entirely my thoughts
go to wading in and beginning to building  in an alternate grid asap. Beyond
the issue of moving objects, there is one of the tone of recent decisions
and actions of the Lindens.  I feel downright grumpy.
======
Kate Miranda
Music Island Concerts
http://musicisland.ning.com