[SLED] Whiteboard to write on

Salahzar Stenvaag salahzar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 14:03:17 PDT 2009

Hi, Liz, it's true that I developed some samples of whiteboards and
chalkboards in SecondLife which have already been used by some
educators for organizing brainstorms and active and interactive
sessions.

While it is surely true that in SL it is quite difficult to have a
real satisfactorily solution, especially if you are not going to use
streaming which however is quite cumbersome to organize and to use
effectively, and quite expensive for many since it requires you to own
a parcel, be very clever in set up media streaming (especially if you
deeded the parcel to group which is quite common to reduce fees),
nevertheless I think that some of my solution can be interesting ((
with the only problem that they might use a certain amount of prims
)).

Here are some of the tools I developed which might be of interesting
for you (or other people):

* Chalkboard. https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=1502539
or https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=790893
This board has two interesting things: it can be used with NON ENGLISH
fonts and allow people to contribute easily to a brainstorm just
clicking on the button left to a line and chatting their contribution
in chat. A video of its usage is available here:
http://blip.tv/file/1072942 to explain a bit how this is working.

* Wiki3D: while not being strictly a "board" it can be seen as a 3D
board, mindmapper tool you can use to handle brainstorm and foster
mutual cooperation. You can see it here:
https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=1683737,
while a video on its usage you can find here:
http://dotsub.com/view/6db008ca-7871-459b-a465-f170093a8ca8.
The latter tool had been already presented as an addon to sloodle
during some meetings in August 2009, and probably needs to be
furtherly enhanced.

And many others a lot of which even not distributed through xstreetsl...

Note that I'm working hard to integrate these tools with moodle and
sloodle (I'm currently in the job of using my boards as viewers for
"lessons" and "playbooks" made in Moodle and accessible via sloodle
objects). I foresee its extreme usefulness also for directly
interacting with Moodle forums, blogs and wikis.

I also developed many versions that can be used as HUDs so to not use
the prims in the parcel, and have developed many customized versions
of these for free to people asking me via IM or email. After about 3
years in SL I understood that any tools in SL should be customized for
each specific need, and mostly people should be a bit trained to use
it (and to bear with their inevitable bugs and insufficiences)...

Actually I'M NOT considering this activity as a way to gain money in
SL, but just a way to help people in using Virtual Worlds at best ((
you can consider this for me a hobby, since I'm working during the day
as a professional programmer)). I'm trying to offer them as opensource
and fullpermissions products, so that people can better them if needed
(retaining the by-nc-sa license).

If you find that some of my products are given for a very limited
price (1 - 10 L$), this is just some kind of very limited tip you can
give me to help me in uploading textures for my classes in sl. If you
don't have L$ please IM me and I'm happy to give them free.

Contact me inworld for any further explanation.

greetings from Italy,
salahzar stenvaag