[SLED] Netbooks for SL

Larry Havenstein lhavenst at ksu.edu
Tue Nov 10 06:42:11 PST 2009

Netbooks are a huge moving target as to if they will work or not,  If they are running
Windows XP they will work in some form but often not real well.   Most have Intel Video
and Shared Video Ram.  Both of those features are horrid for SL.    Only the Windows XP
Video drivers for the 945 Intel chipset (what is used in most of the Netbooks)  will support
OpenGL, the graphics standard that SL uses.

If you must use a netbook the Rainbow Viewer for Netbooks is your best bet as the
settings have been tweaked in the code and the configuration to do their best to squeeze
what they can out of the Intel 945 graphics chips.

If you are buying a new netbook and want to use it with SL be sure you get one with the
Nvidea ION chipset instead of the Intel 945 and you will be much happier.   The graphics
in that chipset is equal to a Nvidea 9800.  Most manufactures also put dedicated video
memory on systems using that chipset.   Two netbooks that can be had with the Nvidea
ION chipset are the Lenovo S12 with ION and the HP Mini 311 with ION.   I am sure
others will come out but these are the first.

Netbooks with the ION chipset should perform as good as most notebooks with an Nvidea
adapter.

My experience with Windows 7 on a Intel 945 chipset notebook was that it no longer had
OpenGL under Win7 so SL wouldn't work at all.   I may be able to dig and find other
drivers but the ones that came normally didn't have OpenGL.