[SLED] Second LIfe presentation and Hotel logistics and tech

Matt White mwhite at leporidae.net
Sun May 31 08:58:16 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Cathy Anderson <cathywyo1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any details we need to be concerned with that that you can share would be appreciated.

Hi Cathy!

I actually have quite a bit of experience with this. (I spent last
weekend at a conference doing SL demos at a hotel!)

What we have found works best is to put the presenter on a wired
network if at all possible. The folks in the audience can use the
wireless network, but it generally helps a lot if the presenter (the
computer hooked up to the projector at least) isn't fighting for
bandwidth on the wireless network.

We do it this way because, if all else fails, as long as the presenter
is able to get into SL, you'll have a successful meeting. It won't be
as nice as having everyone in SL at once, but it'll work and won't be
a bust.

Last weekend we had a backup plan as well - an aircard from Sprint to
use. Aircards are not perfect (I get a consistent 200-300ms latency),
but they tend to always work, even if the hotel's network is
over-saturated. (Always have a backup plan!)

One (often expensive, but might be worth it if this is important)
option is to check with the hotel and/or their IT provider to see if
they have the option of a dedicated wired Internet connection in the
room where you will be presenting. Expect to pay $100+ a day for this,
but this is one sure-fire way to make sure things go well.

I hope this helps! :)

- Matt