[SLED] Second LIfe presentation and Hotel logistics and tech

Stephen David Beck sdbeck at lsu.edu
Fri May 29 15:02:29 PDT 2009

We hosted a conference on virtual worlds not that long ago.  We had
folks in SL and local.  The biggest problem was bandwidth.  Since most
of the local folks had laptops, we would have problems when many (i.e.
more than 3) people tried to log in to SL on their laptops while the
presenter also was in SL.  We had a robust local wi-fi, but the pipe
from the wi-fi router to the internet was not fast enough to handle
more than 1 or 2 SL connections.

So in the end, when someone was either in SL presenting or was local
but wanted to show something in SL, we had to have everyone else get
off the wi-fi.  Had we held the meeting on our campus, this would not
have been a problem.  This was a problem of the hotel's internet
bandwidth.

Have fun.

Steve

Stephen David Beck, Ph.D.
Interim Director, Center for Computation & Technology
Chair, Cultural Computing Focus Area @ CCT
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA