[SLED] Distance learning

Nanci Burk drnmburk at gmail.com
Thu May 21 13:39:58 PDT 2009

Hi Mary,
I have taught online classes in SL for over a year, using it as a major
component of those courses.  I'm happy to discuss how I've worked through
some of the very challenges you anticipate.  Feel free to contact me off
list to continue this dialogue (drnmburk at gmail.com).

Best wishes,

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Mary Nolan <nolanam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to hear about what sorts of experiences people have had using
> SL as a meeting/instructional site in online, distance learning classes. I
> am developing a course on the Anthropology of the Web, delivered via the
> web, appropriately enough. In my already developed classroom seminar version
> of the course, I have the students make use of SL as a field site. It may
> seem a bit counter-intuitve, but online students are often limited by their
> technology more than on-campus students. Some may even be overseas using
> Internet cafes with marginal connections and clunky computers.
>
> Has anyone tried a set up encouraging students to participate in meetings
> and activities in SL, but allowing other options for students who may be
> technologically limited?
>
> --
> Mary Nolan
> Adjunct Faculty
> Department of Anthropology
> Oregon State University
> 224 Waldo Hall
> Corvallis, OR 97331
>
> nolanma at onid.orst.edu

Nanci M. Burk, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication
Glendale Community College
Glendale, AZ  84304

"Community colleges play an important role in helping people transition
between careers by providing the retooling they need to take on a new
career."
               ~  Barack Obama