[SLED] new accounts problem

Marrapodi, Elisabeth EMarrapodi at Trinitas.org
Fri May 8 08:33:12 PDT 2009

Thanks Phil! I'll keep this on hand for future reference...although my
issue today was I was only trying to create 3 individual accounts from 3
separate email addresses. Even tried on different PCs. Will have to ask
IT if they all have the same IP address but even so, only 1 went through
successfully. 3 shouldn't have been a problem judging from that message.
But this is handy information anyway.

________________________________

From: educators-bounces at lists.secondlife.com
[mailto:educators-bounces at lists.secondlife.com] On Behalf Of Marston,
Philip G.
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 11:12 AM
To: 'SL Educators (The SLED List)'
Subject: Re: [SLED] new accounts problem

Hi Elisabeth,

We had a similar problem 3 Months ago, where upon we received this
helpful email from Philip Youngblood:

"I did not see the original message, but I am making an educated guess
that you are finding it difficult to create more than 5 or less avatars
from a classroom. I (and I suspect many others) have experienced this
same problem. Here is information I obtained at the recent Education
Support Fair in SL: "Linden Lab limits individual users from creating
more than 5 accounts from any one IP address, primarily as a feature to
discourage misuse of the service. However, we do often encounter
educators or other users who wish to create large numbers of accounts
for legitimate purposes, and in that instance we have two options to
offer: The first requires a certain technical know-how on the part of
the resident making the request, and that is to take part in our
RegAPIBeta. This program allows high-volume account registrars to
customize the registration process for their users and direct their new
residents to a specific island that they own. If your university is
considering having a large presence in Second Life, this might be th way
to go. There is more information about the RegAPIBeta here:
http://secondlife.net/programs/api/reg   The second option is to clear
the IPs used in your classroom/lab to register multiple students. This
is less efficient in many ways, because if your IP addresses change, the
process would have to be repeated for the new ones. Basically, we
manually flag your addresses as "legitimate" and that circumvents the
error message that too many accounts have been created. You can find
your IP at www.whatismyip.com. To set this up for your IP address,
submit the following information in a support ticket: (1) name of
institution and RL name of requester, (2) SL account name making
request, (3) IP address to be added (or a range, to the last set of
decimals. Once added, the clearance will last for six months, so if you
are still creating new accounts at the end of that time, you will need
to submit a new ticket (don't reopen the old one) with the same
information. Please allow 5 business days for processing." ....By the
way, if this sounds too "computerese", please contact me in Second Life
as I head a computer information systems department in First Life and I
speak "computerese" and can translate this for you.  (Vic Michalak)"

HTH,

Phil

Phil Marston
Learning Technology Adviser
Centre for Learning & Teaching

University Office, King's College, Aberdeen AB24 3FX

Email:     p.marston at abdn.ac.uk
Tel:         +44(0)1224 273329
Web:      http://www.abdn.ac.uk/clt/

P Please consider the environment before you print this email