[SLED] conference, slcc, sledcc, or not

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Sun Mar 1 12:58:05 PST 2009

Personal reflections. Your milage may vary.

1) money is VERY tight this year. I'm probably more likely to attend
a .edu conference inworld/remotely, than I am to travel for f-2-f. I'd
love to be with everyone, but I'll see some of the SL people at NMC in
June (monterey bay) , AoIR in Oct (Milwaukee) , and NCA in Nov
(chicago). Not sure I can get my place to pay for another trip . . .
no coverage, no travel.

2) I will NEVER again attend SLCC as long as .edu is charged by the
organization for hosting a track.

As an academic, I'm not going to move over to a trade show model
without complaint. I'm sure there are people for whom SLCC is a trade
show, and they are happy to pay for the opportunity to exhibit. And
United and co. are not even an enterprise... all the good souls who
volunteer all their time to throw the gig for LL and it's user base...
HUGE kudos to them.

I'll pay hotel and food. I'll pay a registration fee. But I won't
attend .edu tracks for which the organizers have had to come up with a
large fee for the pleasure of hosting the track. Or . . . for which
they've had to sshlep all around to get "sponsors" to step up and pay
the freight. That's not how academic meetings work, and if it's not an
academic meeting, it's a side show, and I don't have time for it.

3) I'm also not attending SLCC as long as LL treats the event as not
part of their business function. The world they've enabled us to build
in is already primarily user-created content and they are doing very
well by us (and others). And we appreciate it and we are benefiting
from their excellent creation. But I think they are getting off WAY
too easy over this yearly convention. I think they should step up to
the plate in a HUGE way and put BOTH planning/personnel AND financing
into the thing. As it is, someone else throws this huge, complex, and
expensive annual party for them... and then they "pay the community
back" by showing up, having a great time,  and giving a presentation
or two.

These guys/gals aren't the stars of a major motion picture or rock
group, folks. They are computer geeks who run a software company. As
much fun as I've had meeting some of them over the years aside... I
think they should throw their own company party and if they have the
good sense to invite all the people who've made them what they are
(the residents), so be it. I'm very uncomfortable with yet another
user-created success for linden lab.

3) won't missing out on the "others" at SLCC be a detriment? Yes. I'll
miss meeting fellow musicians, hearing about developments for
business, etc. However, one can only be in swo many places at once....
and it would be very easy to have a 1-2-3 day meeting for .edu without
time for anything else. So the diversity is a loss I'd be willing to
trade.

though I told Sarah (survey) that I'd help . . .  #1, above, (money
this year) is a MAJOR issue for me. It's unlikely I can go to any
meeting that isn't within a 1/2 day's drive from me . . .and of
course, that's not going to near close enough to anyone but those of
us in the US midwest... and I can't expect anyone to pay for travel if
I won't.... Sooooooo...... I wonder if we should stay inworld or do
this next year instead of this year? Our budgets flop in may....

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication
Co-Director, Bradley University New Media Center
1501 W. Bradley,  Peoria IL  61625
office: 309-677-2378 cell: 309-635-2605
AIM/IM & skype: dredleelam
Second Life: Professor Beliveau