[SLED] SLEDcc planning

Marty Keltz marty.keltz at gsnewmedia.com
Sun Mar 1 10:35:58 PST 2009

I want to echo Sarah's point about how open and respectful this debate has been.

We are at a watershed moment in education where the Ivory tower is crumbling supported and encouraged by many who post to this list. Education is everywhere across the digital landscape from WOW to Webkinz and it has been transformative because the traditional definitions are being challenged.

It is messy for traditionalists and for administrators who approve budgets. They want to keep education, teachers and academics in white rooms away from the real world.

Second Life has thrown the doors open and I believe that is why this may this time be a real revolution. I would resist the temptation for order and control.
One week we are sanitizing our are avatars and hiding our group affiliations to keep a myth alive about who teachers are... placing ourselves in self imposed exile and now taking it to the point that we will just talk to ourselves, exchanging a tower for a glass house where anyone can look in and see how well behaved and neat we are. I prefer the mess....