[SLED] Master's Research Survey Request

Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak swlodek at ifa.amu.edu.pl
Mon Feb 23 05:17:06 PST 2009

Troy McConaghy <troy.mcconaghy at gmail.com> asks, wrt to a SL personality
survey:

Can an avatar even have a mood? I suppose I could make my primary avatar
seem to be angry or upset...
So are you asking if I maintain my avatar's mood constant or if I control it
up and down?...
Are you asking I tell my avatar to project my real mood?...

--------

I believe the original survey questions make no sense to people who are not
immersed in SL.
To SL-immersed people there's effectively no difference between their
(immersed) RL self and the avatar SL self.
When immersed, they ARE their avatars, and their avatars ARE them.
Neither party 'makes' the other 'seem' or 'project' anything, maintains
anything, controls anything....
This is not to deny the existence of alts with which people may not
identify, alts used for strictly pragmatic reasons, like tools.
But the original survey questions were about the primary avatar, presumably
the one endowed with the maker's personality.
The question/s are of utmost importance to SLeducators, if only because
teacher personality is of utmost importance to teaching.

WS
prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
School of English
Adam Mickiewicz University
al. Niepodleglosci 4
61-874 Poznan
Poland
tel. (48-61) 8293506
fax (48-61) 8523103
e-mail: sobkow at amu.edu.pl
e-mail: swlodek at ifa.amu.edu.pl
official website: http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/fa/Sobkowiak_Wlodzimierz
personal website: http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~swlodek/
Skype: wasobk
Facebook: http://pl-pl.facebook.com/people/Wlodzimierz-Sobkowiak/730881500
Ning: http://slenglish.ning.com/profile/WlodzimierzSobkowiak
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/a/599/482
SL name: Wlodek Barbosa
SL profile:
http://world.secondlife.com/resident/6b1918c0-55e5-4097-99ee-6787471df35e
SL home: slurl.com/secondlife/Virtlantis/219/223/24/
SL work: slurl.com/secondlife/Virtlantis/206/198/21/