[SLED] Message for NON-ENGLISH SLED MEMBERS

Kristin Scott kscott65 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 05:55:46 PST 2009

Bruce - this has got to be one of the most racist, ignorant comments
I've heard in a long time. Where is this glorified, nostalgic Rome you
speak of? This is the Second Life Educators list, not the Western or
North American educator's list. While Linden Labs resides in
California, the virtual environment of which we speak is
multi-national / multi-lingual and cannot be situated within any
physical, geographical space. So to proclaim a "local" language and to
insist that all who reside, and more importantly, work, within this
virtual space should speak only one language is to also advocate some
sort of twisted, virtual colonialist takeover.

As a citizen of the United States, your comment is an embarrassment to
me, and I'm sure many other English-speaking people, and reinforces
the (obviously well-deserved) stereotype of North Americans who
believe the entire earth should revolve around them.

--
Kristin Scott
Instructor, New Century College

kscotta at gmu.edu