clarification: [SLED] Transcript of "Why do we have ALTs?Panel"

Marty Keltz marty.keltz at gsnewmedia.com
Sat Feb 14 06:00:53 PST 2009

What eloquence....bravo! As with the emergence of cable and home video, there is an even bigger paradigm shift going on that will be accelerated and intensified because of the current economic crises.

As Judy points out, these are Darwinian forces, environmental changes that will test education more than any other industry/institution and that will effect many generations of children/students to come.

Adapting to these changes and evolving new models is our responsibility as educators, content producers and yes, educational publishers. But the challenge and even the solution is not new...

As I have been reminded through sled posts and in recent conversations in sl....maybe there are "not" new literacy's for the 21st Century for teaching and learning in virtual worlds. Co-mentoring, creating immersive learning environments, making education child centered and respecting learning differences and styles are and have been for a very long time what defines progressive education. The tension lines are once again being drawn between prescriptive and descriptive teaching approaches.

In the sled posts, at the round tables and at both in world and at rl conferences we have heard the best from both sides. Real change can only come from integrative approaches and with the upcoming Best Practices Conference we have the forum to hear about both and be open to every new and old idea....

The recent faire was the appetizer...we can make SLBP~2009 the entrée...

RL: Martin Keltz
SL: marty snowpaw