clarification: [SLED] Transcript of "Why do we have ALTs? Panel"

Eloise Pasteur eloisepasteur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:48:43 PST 2009

Transcripts are often far less engaging than being at the chat in real
life too. Good meetings have minutes partially for this reason -
there's lots of side chat that isn't necessarily conducive to the core
business of the meeting that goes on and is excluded from the minuting
process.

I'm a firm believer that when you are at a discussion in SL you engage
the conversational processes in the brain. Most of us follow several
threads successfully in meetings in SL and yet trying to pick them
apart from the transcript is a nightmare. Similarly, if I attended a
lecture as a student I have much better memories of what went on than
if I copied notes from a friend (not that I ever skipped lectures of
course, honest!) even though at least one of my friends took better
notes than I ever did.

All that said, I have been on record for a long, long time as saying
Second Life is not a good environment for delivering lectures. I could
get into a parallel debate about whether lectures are a good way of
delivering information, but that's not limited to using Second Life
and it's a paradigm we don't necessarily have much say over so I'll
set that aside. But, if I have to attend a lecture I'll go IRL in
preference to SL. But if the lecturer is in the USA and I'm at home in
the UK, I'll go to a lecture in SL in preference to watching a video,
trying to listen to a podcast or similar if I can - so SL has, in my
opinion, better lecturing presence than a video or a podcast.

But there are other styles of teaching between lecturing and trial and
error. There are educational settings where styles of literature or
literary settings are realised in Second Life, giving the students a
better appreciation of Elsinore, the Inferno, Spoon River etc. There
are people doing chemistry in Second Life who let their students see
molecules changing shape and structure as reactions proceed. There are
people giving safe environments to practise numeracy skills, or
patient assessment skills without having to have injured people and so
on.

Although it's not yet been developed that I know of, there has been a
discussion about using SL in occupational therapy to teach people
about coping in everyday life when recovering from serious strokes or
similar. The potential benefit of a kitchen that tells you how to make
a cup of coffee and warns you about the hazards before you're let
loose in a real kitchen with real hot water... who knows as yet.

It would be interesting to see the transcript of a lecture and see how
you feel about that too. You might well find it a lot easier to digest
because there won't be cross-talk and multi-threading.

El.

http://educationaldesigns.eloisepasteur.net/
http://eloisepasteur.net/blog/