[SLED] Transcript of "Why do we have ALTs? Panel"

Linda Rogers lindarog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 07:24:28 PST 2009

Reasons that I have heard for the creation of alts:

1.  Land management:  an alt is created to be the rent collector and manage
groups associated with a persons varied land holdings in SL.

2.  Professional/personal exploration of SL:  Some individuals have
restrictions on their groups and appearance in SL associated with their work
and they'd like to explore other groups and activities.

3.  Roleplay: individuals want to create an alt with a name and appearance
that matches their character... for example an elven sounding name or a
dragon name.

4. Harassment:  sometimes people create an alt to escape harassment
temporarily or permanently.  I know one person who did this when potentially
embarassing details of their SL activities were made public on the web.

5. Mischief:  people have been known to create alts for negative reasons, to
cause trouble, fool people or spy on others.

6.  Second Life Arts:  Alts are sometimes created for artistic reasons, such
as actors for machinama, avatars that look like composers of the past,
storyteller characters, stage actor avatars.

Linda Rogers
Executive Director
Toronto Philharmonia
1210 Sheppard Ave., E.  suite 109