[SLED] Good VW for pre-teens

patriciafanderson patriciafanderson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:08:36 PST 2009

This is statistics from last summer.

<http://www.kzero.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/virtual-world-population-numbers002.jpg>
<http://www.kzero.co.uk/blog/?p=2288>

If you want to be working in a space where the kids already are (best
way to reach them), then explore these. The biggest is Habbo with over
a million avatars:

<http://mashable.com/2008/06/26/habbo-100-million-user/>

Other big ones include:
 - Whyville
 - Gaia
 - IMVU
 - Stardoll

Here are more metrics comparing virtual worlds in general:

<http://www.kzero.co.uk/blog/?page_id=2092>

This image in particular is fascinating, breaking it down by age group:

<http://www.kzero.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/universe-v6-master.jpg>

For content creation in virtual worlds for the under 13 crowd (pre
Teen Grid), they list Konstruction Zone and Roblox.

<http://www.kzero.co.uk/blog/?p=2706>

I wouldn't place a whole lot of stock in the "content creation" label
since I know perfectly well that the Alliance Library Systems has
created content and events in Whyville and that other people sell
their creations in Gaia. My recommendation would be to spend a little
time getting to know the most popular virtual worlds and find out more
about how to connect with the kids there and what the options are for
providing content. While the idea of a really whizbang high tech game
environment might sound like a good idea, ultimately you have to
figure out what the *kids* want to engage with. Who knows?

 - Patricia Anderson / Perplexity Peccable