[SLED] Re: Best solutions for counting visitors to an estate

Rolig Loon rolig.loon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:52:24 PST 2009

That's a nice idea, John, and very sensitive, but not very practical
for most sims. The reference desk at the Alliance Virtual Library gets
in excess of 500 visitors every 3 or 4 days. It would be VERY annoying
to our patrons if we had to hand every single one of them a statement
like that. Besides, most people in SL understand that the information
on their profile (Name, Rez date, payment info) is publicly accessible
and I suspect that they understand that it is incredibly easy and
common practice to gather that information. Finally, a GOOD stats
counter (one that can tell the difference between 5 visitors each
arriving one time and one visitor arriving 5 times) HAS to record each
avatar's name or UUID key.

There's no reason why you can't choose a policy such as the one you
suggest, but I think it is impractical for most of us and, I believe,
unnecessary by most ethical standards in SL.

Rolig