[SLED] the latest client

Eloise Pasteur eloisepasteur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 02:53:44 PST 2009

Your memory needs a check Rollig, I can think of at least 3 mandatory
upgrades since the day of liberation, but most of the rest of the
information is correct.

If you install 1.21 there's a reasonable chance you will remain able
to use it for the rest of the academic year, but there is no
guarantee. You can increase your chances by either downloading your
own variant client (I like cool viewer personally, but I install on my
own machines rather than run a computer lab) which are usually stable,
have their own extra features and are nearly always tagged with a
branch channel identifier which makes them immune to the forced
upgrade process (the Mac Cool Viewer branches still run optionally
patched 1.19 quite happily, plus 1.21.6 and the last time I saw it had
1.22.rc6 as the latest version of the RC available. 1.22 rc8 will
doubtless be along soon).

If you don't like the idea of downloading "false" code (it's all
legal, as the client is Open Source, but a lot of people would rather
trust Linden Lab than someone they don't know) you can either make
your own client from scratch, or with a lot less work repackage the
main client as homebrew with its own channel identifier - although
it's not incredibly helpful there's a wiki page at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Channel_and_Version_Requirements
  that details approximately how to do this. As soon as you have your
own channel identifier you're responsible for the updates, not Linden
Lab. It is theoretically possible they will reverse nearly two years
of supporting and open sourcing the client and the variety of clients
that are available (there are over a dozen I know of) and release a
game-breaker (stopping QT streaming altogether and forcing it to only
stream via open source video and audio code for example) but they've
not announced any such intent and they have just announced a "road-map
VP" so you'd hope they would! (The RC8 seems to be moving away from
using QT to OS versions, but there's currently no indication that this
will break the QT streaming that is currently used.)

El.