[SLED] Interesting V-level move at the Lab

Jeremy Kemp jeremykemp at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 15:55:06 PST 2009

Hello there,

Check out this note introducing Judy Wade, VP of Strategy and Emerging Business: http://blog.secondlife.com/2009/02/05/introducing-judy-linden/
She is now responsible for the strategic road map, which appears to feature education prominently.

Her background is peppered with .edu and nonprofit gigs. Her note mentions our community a number of times including a plug for ISM _with link_. She does have a passion for Berkeley. But you can't fault every Bear for that.

<GOSSIP>

The Oliver Stone Silicon Valley wag in me thinks there may be some boardroom intrigue here. Could the whispered headline here actually be: "Mitch Kapor continues to step in on Rosedale by tapping his consultant to replace Phillip's pick in the 12-18 month time frame."

All the concepts & phrasing in her tale propel her into the CEO's office on a red carpet - especially in a late-startup, pre-acquisition firm. Doesn't the CEO's office _ALWAYS_ do "the vision thing?" She will work "with" him and not in support of _his_ mission?

What would you do if you were Mitch Kapor and the fellow tapped by your previous CEO/founder was not panning out? You can almost read the Stone script:

MITCH: Phillip, you can tap your own guy, but I'm sending in my own training wheels.
{9 months pass...}
JUDY: It's a nice house, Mitch...
MITCH: Do you think we should take this to recruiting and tap another body?
JUDY: Heck no! I think I can wrangle this thing to sale....

I'll put 5000$L on no more than 12 months to the next press release from Rosedale/Kapor. >;-)

</GOSSIP>

Joking aside, it is just good sport to watch scrappy start ups navigating. Either way, SLED gains another advocate. Very cool.

See her bio as a board member to a foundation of a nonprofit dedicated "to replicate the success of San Francisco's Leadership High School."

----

http://www.leadps.org/board_of_trustees.html

Ms. Wade is a partner of McKinsey & Company. She has focused primarily on helping clients with major operational and organizational transformations, often in complex public sector environments and where there are large front-line workforces. Ms. Wade is a leader of the North American Operational Practice, and the firm’s Public Sector/Non-Profit Practice. She has led public sector efforts for the New York City Schools, the Guateng (South Africa) Department of Education, National Business Initiative’s (South Africa) educational business planning program for schools in previously disadvantaged communities, and the South African Police Service, among others. Ms. Wade served on the board of Business Against Crime in South Africa, and currently serves on the boards of Technoserve and the University of California, Berkeley’s College of Letters and Science. Prior to joining McKinsey, Ms. Wade worked as a research associate for Hambrecht & Quist, Inc., an
investment bank in San Francisco, and for Anthem Electronics, an electronics distributor. She has a B.A. in economics from University of California, Berkeley and a Masters in Public Policy from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.

--Jeremy Kemp