[SLED] Blue Mars & Flash

Larry Havenstein lhavenst at ksu.edu
Fri Dec 18 09:36:51 PST 2009

On 17 Dec 2009 at 23:24, Gavin Dudeney wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I see Blue Mars just got full Flash 10 integration...
>
> http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Avatar-Reality-1092927.html
>
> Gavin

They have some cool technologies going in Blue Mars but for teaching and social aspects they have a long way
to go.  At this point the client is very stripped of any useful social or training features.   There is no IM,  the
friends list is very bare bones.

The world is very pretty and it holds lots of possiblities but very much like SL in 2003.   I mis landmarks,
teleports, and flying.   Right now local chat is region wide.  Been involved in Caledonia and we can talk from
anywhere at the moment.   They need to scale that down to a true local chat or it will be horible with hundreds
of avatars in a region.

I will say what we can build is amazing.  Most of what has been built in Caledonia was done with the free
google sketchup.

 <Larry>++

 Larry Havenstein
  System Engineer & KSRE/COA Computer Security Officer
  Information & Educational Technology
  Department of Communications
  K-State Research & Extension
  Kansas State University