[SLED] Brain teaser

S Collingwood collingwood.7 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 8 13:22:12 PST 2009

Judges would work, but it would take away the excitement of the game,
when everyone is trying to guess what is being built.  With judges,
you have one active player (the builder) and the rest of the team
will be watching You Tube.

There's got to be a building game that involves all members of the
team, but can't be gotten around with IM, hopefully one with very
simple rules.

Collaborative speed building might work, but then you need a judge,
and that gets finicky.

I wonder if it's possible to design a building game along the rules
of Scrabble.   Here's one I thought of, but I think it's far too
complicated.

You'd start out with a grid, and one team would be given a world to
build.  They would begin by selecting a square to build their object.

Then, Team 2 would have to build, on an adjoining square, a related object.

For example, you could do it with categories.

Team 1 builds "bear" (mammal)
Team 2 builds "cat" (mammal)

Team 1 then has a choice of building on the adjoining squares to
"bear" (teddy bear, bear a burden, bear market, etc)  or "cat,"
(catwalk, cat nap)

There would eventually be a stage in the game where the only open
square would be bordered all round (build something that relates to
mammal/bear market/cat nap), which would mean teams would have to
develop a building strategy.

This is a rubbishy plan, I know.  It's too boring for non-building
team members, and the rules are too complicated.   But this game at
least takes intstant messaging into consideration, it would be part
of the game, team members would discuss what was being built.

--

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/collingwood7/

Department of Women's Studies