[SLED] a few questions about subject protection in SL please, thanks.

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Fri Apr 10 18:41:10 PDT 2009

I am working on a report/paper about research ethics in Second Life.

If you've done research in SL (or if students have done research under
your direction), I'm interested to hear about your experiences. Please
send me a message off list [ell at bradley.edu]

1) briefly describe the research (a) as human subject research or (b)
as work that is not covered by human subject protection.
2) if you determined the work was (b), please describe what reasoning
you used to decide it did not involve humans.
3) if you determined the work was (a), please tell me if you asked for
any exemption(s) from full protection procedures. If so, from which
procedures did you ask relief and why? If you didn't apply at all,
please note why not.
4) Please send a copy of any informed consent document you used.
5) add comments if you'd like, esp. about the most important issues
you see raised here.

I'll cycle a compilation back to the list.

thanks

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication
Co-Director, Bradley University New Media Center
1501 W. Bradley,  Peoria IL  61625
office: 309-677-2378 cell: 309-635-2605
AIM/IM & skype: dredleelam
Second Life: Professor Beliveau