[SLED] Theses and Dissertations on Second Life

Jeremy Kemp jeremykemp at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 16:04:23 PDT 2009

Hello Guus,

Here are all dissertations including "Second Life" in abstract or keywords in Proquest - chronological order.

Piece of trivia: The VERY FIRST dissertation was done at a Canadian school in 2007.

Cheryl Carter did her SL work on my SJSU sim, BTW.

----

Rycroft, Alan E. (2007).  Young adults and virtual public spheres: Building a new political culture. M.A. dissertation, Royal Roads University (Canada), Canada. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT MR29791).

Kelley, Matthew James (2007).  Utopia redux: On the convergence of community, technology and open source society. Ph.D. dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University, United States -- Pennsylvania. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3266137).

Moon, Jang Ho (2007).  The new ways of corporate communication in virtual environments: Case studies of Second Life. M.A. dissertation, University of Southern California, United States -- California. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 1447046).

Caravella, Mary Neuner (2007).  Privacy, strategic information disclosure and new customer acquisition: Implications for customer relationship management. Ph.D. dissertation, Harvard University, United States -- Massachusetts. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3273199).

Williams, David Allen (2008).  Virtual aesthetics and ethical communication: Towards virtuous reality design. M.A. dissertation, Clemson University, United States -- South Carolina. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 1450704).

Carter, Cheryl A. (2008).  The Panhellenic Project: Assessing learning engagement using Web 2.0 technologies. Ed.D. dissertation, Pepperdine University, United States -- California. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3330961).

McAulay, Alex (2008).  Surfing the interzones: Posthuman geographies in twentieth century literature and film. Ph.D. dissertation, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States -- North Carolina. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3304355).

Antonijevic, Smiljana (2008).  Rhetoric, culture, and avatars: A microethnographic analysis of nonverbal communication in multiuser, 3D virtual environments. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Minnesota, United States -- Minnesota. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3311458).

Jamison, John B. (2008).  Educators in a strange land: The experience of traditional educators when immersed into the virtual environment of Second Life. Ph.D. dissertation, Capella University, United States -- Minnesota. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3307549).

Atlas, Stephen A. (2008).  Economic experiments in virtual worlds: Framing, reciprocity & trust. M.A. dissertation, Tufts University, United States -- Massachusetts. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 1450772).

Franklin, Janice Lynn (2008).  Dimensions of sound in virtual online immersive environments: A theoretical exploration. Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Texas at Dallas, United States -- Texas. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3340474).

Hebert, Sara (2008).  Digital memorialization: Collective memory, tragedy, and participatory spaces. M.A. dissertation, University of Denver, United States -- Colorado. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 1453941).

Cabiria, Jonathan (2008).  A Second Life: Online virtual worlds as therapeutic tools for gay and lesbian people. Ph.D. dissertation, Fielding Graduate University, United States -- California. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3310397).

Derby, Jacqueline C. (2008).  Applying online virtual worlds to informal professional development: A study of rural teachers participating in Second Life. Ph.D. dissertation, Walden University, United States -- Minnesota. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3320290).

Fox, F. Sutter (2008).  A formative evaluation of a surface warfare simulation to improve problem solving. Ed.D. dissertation, University of Southern California, United States -- California. Retrieved March 9, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection database. (Publication No. AAT 3325081).

Jeremy Kemp
San Jose School of Library and Information Science
(408) 393-5270